|Medical Services||Locations||Patient/Visitor Info||Programs & Support||Points of Pride|
Chartered in 1892 as a 10-bed dispensary, The Chester County Hospital has been serving Chester County and its surrounding communities for 120 years.
As the community grew, the Hospital grew, and by 1918, there were 120 beds, a laboratory, a children's department, and separate buildings for maternity and contagious diseases.
In 1918, philanthropist Pierre S. duPont, saddened by the death of friend and employee Lewes A. Mason, donated more than one million dollars to build a hospital in Mr. Mason's honor. The new Hospital, Italian Renaissance in style, opened in 1925 with 145 beds. Through the years, the Hospital expanded with the addition of new wings and key facilities to keep pace with both the advances in medical technology and the needs of its patients.
The Hospital's North Pavilion was dedicated in 1986 to the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Pierre duPont. This state-of-the-art addition houses many of the Hospital's inpatient units, as well as some of the most advanced equipment in Radiology and Emergency Medicine.
The Board of Directors volunteers its time and expertise for the best interests of the Hospital, and the community governs the Hospital. The Chester County Hospital has always prided itself on community service, standing as a tradition in the borough of West Chester. With every phase of growth, its first consideration has been the betterment of the community it serves.
To offer comprehensive programs, The Chester County Hospital has partnered with other healthcare providers who share a common mission and vision - to improve the health status of the community. These affiliations include Cleveland Clinic in cardiac surgery; the University of Pennsylvania Cancer Network in oncology and radiation oncology; The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in neonatal and pediatric care; and the University of Pennsylvania Health System in radiology and maternal fetal medicine services.
In 2012, the Hospital embarked upon an ambitious growth project, which added 93,000 square feet and the potential for 72 new private rooms. Known as the Tower, the new wing opened the first 24 beds for Telemetry patients in July 2013. Two additional floors are expected to be open in late 2013 and in the spring of 2014. The building project also brought new technology to the Hospital's Radiation Oncology Department with the installation of a Varian's cutting-edge TrueBeam linear accelerator.
Today, the 245-bed complex provides a full range of health services to Chester County and its surrounding areas. Although the Hospital employs the most modern healthcare techniques and equipment, it maintains a home-like atmosphere. It stands ready to care for all who come to it for sickness, injury, or childbirth, regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, age, sex, sexual preference or ability to pay.
In addition to our main Hospital campus in West Chester, many of our services can be found at satellite locations in Exton, Lionville, West Goshen, New Garden, Jennersville and Kennett Square.
Last Updated: 7/8/2013